How to Collect Your Blood Sample.
Collecting Your Samples
We understand collecting your own samples can be daunting, and so we've provided the instructions below. Each Yoxly kit also includes detailed instructions taking you step-by-step through the process. Our users tell us that by following these instructions, collecting your samples is relatively easy and straightforward.
When Should you Collect Your Samples?
It is important your sample reaches our lab the day after you take it. Therefore, you must take your sample on the same day it can be posted (e.g. not after the post has been collected, or on a bank holiday or a weekend).
Do You Have More Questions?
If you have questions about collecting your sample, your kit, or collecting your sample, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We're available seven days a week!
Important: Blood samples are easier to collect if you are well-hydrated. It’s best to collect your sample after a shower or after running your hands under warm water.
1. Remove the blood tubes from the protective case. Stand them upright in the circular divets in the clear top of the case.
2. Wash your hands in warm, soapy water for at least two minutes and dry them thoroughly.
3. Remove the caps from both blood tubes.
4. Use an alcohol wipe to clean the finger from which you'll collect your blood sample.
Note: The best place to collect your sample is from the side of the tip of a finger on your non-dominant hand.
5. Prepare a lancet by twisting and removing the small blue tip.
Caution: Lancets are activated when pressed against the skin, and should only be used once.
6. Position the lancet on the side of the tip of your selected finger.
7. With the lancet positioned on your finger, activate it by pressing it firmly down on your skin.
8. After piercing the skin, wipe away the first drop of blood with a clean tissue.
9. Stand over the open blood collection tubes with your pierced finger pointing into the mouth of the first tube.
10. Gently “milk” your finger by applying pressure in a downward motion from your palm to the tip of your finger.
11. Continue to milk your finger, guiding the blood droplets into the first tube. Continue until the tube is filled to the line marked “600”. If the bleeding stops before you've filled the tube, you'll need to re-pierce your finger with a new lancet.
12. Once the tube is filled to “600”, replace the cap and press tightly closed (until you hear it click). Note: a tube insufficiently filled will be rejected by our laboratory.
13. Place a plaster on your pierced fingertip(s) to stop the bleeding.
14. Repeat steps 4 - 13 to fill the second blood tube.
15. Gently invert each blood tube five times.
16. Fill in the provided blood tube labels with the date you collected your blood samples.
17. Securely affix a blood label to each blood collection tube.
Choose Your At-Home STI Kit
Home STI kits delivered directly to you.
Convenient. Safe. Secure.
- Hepatitis B
- Hepatitis B
- Hepatitis C
- No more waiting in GUM clinics or two weeks for your test results. Our test kits are delivered directly to you, with results usually in a few days.
- Your kit will arrive in plain packaging with no reference to Yoxly or its contents.
- Our partner laboratories are the same ones used by doctors and primary care providers (including the NHS).
- Your samples are processed by accredited laboratories which adhere to strict, government-enforced protocols to ensure maximum accuracy.
- Your data is anonymized, encrypted, and is not shared with third parties.
- Your results arrive via encrypted email and employ three-factor authentication to ensure only you have access.
- Yoxly is registered with the ICO and conforms to GDPR requirements.